Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thanksgiving Menu

Thanksgiving is fast approaching.  Those of you on top of things, may already have some of your dinner prepped and in the freezer.  Some years I like to get my pie crusts rolled out, in the pans and then I wrap them up and put them in the freezer, ready to be filled with yummy pie filling.  I also like to get my twice-baked rolls and the twice-baked potatoes in the freezer as well.

Here is our family's traditional menu from when we were kids.  I hope my sisters will share any variations and traditions they do now with the rest of us here on the blog.

Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner
  • Turkey with Celery Stuffing
  • Candied Yams or Sweet Potatoes
  • Twice Baked Rolls
  • Twice Baked Potatoes
  • Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
  • Green Jell-O with Shredded Carrots (this is kind of a joke in our family) 
  • Veggie/Pickle Platter with Stuffed Celery, pickles, olives, carrot sticks, pepper slices and deviled eggs 
  • Cranberry Sauce (nothing fancy here, we use what's in the can.  Why is the label always put on upside down?  Look at your can to see what I'm talking about.  It doesn't matter which brand).
  • Tawny Pumpkin Pie
  • Various Pies--apple, blueberry, cherry, pecan, banana cream, mincemeat (at least one of everyone's favorite).  
 Check back over the next few days as I share some of these recipes with you. 

As you get ready for Thanksgiving Day, remember some of the things you are thankful for.  I'm thankful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, who died for each one of us, that we might be forgiven of our sins and return back to the presence of our Heavenly Father.  I'm thankful for my family--for my husband who works so hard to provide for our family and takes the time to be there for our children; for my kids who help me remember what a special gift living on earth is.  I'm thankful for my friends that give me good times to look forward to; for my talents that bring joy and variety to my life; and for this beautiful world that we live in.  I love the quote by President Thomas S. Monson, when he said "to express gratitude is gracious and honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven."  If you need a gratitude boost, read the rest of his talk here.  Happy Thanksgiving! ~Lena  
 

No comments: