Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Bow Ties for Easter

It's not too late to make a bow tie or two (or more as in my case) for the boys and man in your life. 

Instead of reinventing the wheel (so to speak), here's a link to a bow tie tutorial over at One Dog Woof. The only difference is I changed the size of the pattern so the bows aren't quite as big.   For the bow tie I cut a 5" x 8" piece of fabric on the bias.  For the center knot I cut a 2" x 3" piece of fabric.  I chose to cut it on the bias.  You could, or not.  For the neck band, I cut a 2" x 16" piece.  For the knot and neckband I fold the edges to the center and iron it flat, then I fold it in half and iron it.  I sew along the edge of the neck band and zig zag the edges to prevent fraying.  


The tie at the bottom  of the picture is a bow-tie that you tie.  My husband said he wanted one he could tie.  The only thing is, even after watching multiple tutorials online, it was a bit tricky to tie a real bow tie.  I also included a little handkerchief for the breast pocket of his suit or vest.  You can find the pattern for his bow-tie here.  Instructions can be found here.

In case you are wondering how to attach the boy bow ties pictured above, I use my favorite tie attaching mechanism-a simple safety pin.  Works great, completely adjustable, and can still be reused when the tie is no longer usable.  Win, win if you ask me.  Sorry I didn't include the safety pins in the picture.  I figure you know what one looks like.  ;) If you have any questions please comment below.  We would love to hear from you!

Happy Easter!

~Lena


1 comment: