Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Snickerdoodles


I've shared this recipe before, but it's one of those recipes that is great to share again and again.  I got it from my sister who got it from her sister-in-law.  You know, the natural way recipes should be shared-passing it along from one friend to the next.  I wanted to make some cookies for a friend, so decided to make snickerdoodles.  I stashed some away in the freezer for my husband (which we think makes them taste even better), divided up some for the kids and set some aside to gift. 

The ingredients are very basic.  You should have them on hand in the pantry.  

Cream together shortening, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla.

 Add flour, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.
 Mix together cinnamon and sugar for rolling cookies in.
Make balls of dough (I love my cookie scoop!) and drop in cinnamon sugar mixture

 Place balls of dough on baking sheet.
 
I like to flatten the balls with the palm of my hand.

All ready to bake!


Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes until cookies are set and edges are just starting to turn brown.  My cookies cooked faster on the darker baking sheets than they did on the lighter ones.


Snickerdoodles
1 cup shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cream together butter, sugar, milk, vanilla and eggs.  Sift together and add flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda.  Form into balls and roll in sugar and cinnamon.

Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.




 Happy Baking!
~Lena