Friday, July 22, 2011

Easy Taco Mix for a Crowd or for Your Freezer

Here is a great recipe I got from my friend for Taco Meat to feed a crowd--or freeze it in smaller portions and have everything ready for taco's in a matter of minutes.
3 lbs. Hamburger, browned with 1 Onion
3 cans Pork & Beans
2 cans Tomato Soup
1 can Stewed or Diced Tomatoes
1 Package Taco Seasoning
Drain hamburger, stir all ingredients together and simmer for 30 min to an hour.  This freezes well.  This is a great topping over chips and on tacos.
I do like substituting the Pork & Beans with Kidney beans.  My friend Anjenette suggested mixing in RoTel tomatoes for a kick along with Refried beans instead of the Pork & Beans and my brother thought it should have 3 packages of Taco Seasoning instead of just 1.  The nice thing about this recipe is that it is so easy to adjust to your personal tastes.

My friend who gave me this recipe and I each made a batch and it was enough to feed at least 30 people and we had leftovers.  We used it as a chili, with chips for a walking taco and with tortillas for a basic taco.  When we have our reunion this summer we are going to be feeding almost 50 people with two batches--along with lots of side dishes.  I'll have to let you know if the amounts were accurate.  


Some of you may be wondering why I care about big amounts, but I'm Relief Society President in my Ward with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and I have to prepare big meals all the time, or estimate for someone else, so that's why I like to pass it on to others!

Enjoy!
~Deborah

No comments: