Thursday, August 18, 2011

Creamy Rice with Corn

When you are short on time, nothing beats having a crock pot/slow cooker cooking away all day for you, and then coming home to a hot, healthy meal.  A fun cookbook you may want to try is The Everything Slow Cooker Cookbook by Margaret Kaeter.  I've tweaked one of her recipes a bit (honestly I tweak most recipes according to what's in my kitchen or to make something even better or healthier).  When I made this particular recipe last, my kids kept asking for more.  AHhhhhh. :)  I love when they do that.

Creamy Rice with Corn
3 Tbs olive oil
2 cups uncooked rice (white or brown)
4 cups water
4 bouillion cubes
1 cup milk (whatever % is fine, or use evaporated milk for creamier rice)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 can corn, drained
1 medium onion, chopped
1 8oz. pkg. cream cheese, cubed

In a skillet, over medium high heat, slightly brown the rice in 3 Tbs. olive oil (about 5 minutes). Pour the rice into your slow cooker.  Add everything else except cream cheese.  Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours, or on high 3-4 hours.  During the last 30-60 minutes of cooking add the cubed cream cheese.  Stir it into the rice.  Serve it with a salad or fresh fruit on the side. 

Side note:
We are still getting a few things from our garden.  Kirsten picked one of her cantaloupes and it was perfect.  Some cantaloupes are okay or fine, but this one was off the vine and just perfectly ripe and sweet.  Oh, so, good!  I chopped it up and tossed some frozen blueberries on top for a fruit salad.  I also found enough tomatoes, and a couple of bell peppers for a vegetable salad.  I chopped those up, stirred in some chopped olives and cubed mozzarella, splashed on some olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and voila`, a yummy Italian inspired (or maybe just Rachel Ray inspired) salad.  If I didn't have the yummy cantaloupe to finish off my meal, I would have gone back for more.  As it was I probably would have had to fight over it with my mom and dad.  lol.

~Lena


No comments: