We've enjoyed these Candy Cane Cookies since we found the recipe in the Friend magazine in 2003.
1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy
1 cup sugar
2 cups margarine, softened
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
3 teaspoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon red food coloring
5 cups sifted flour
1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, mix the crushed peppermint candy and sugar. Set aside.
- In two medium bowls, mix the following ingredients (1 batch per bowl): 1 cup margarine, 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1 egg, 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add red food coloring to one batch and leave the other white.
- Sift 2 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt into each bowl and mix well. (The red dough may require extra flour to compensate for the food coloring.) Chill the dough for one hour.
- Shape both the white and red dough into 1/2″ (1 cm) balls. Roll the balls into strips 4″ (10 cm) long. Twist a red strip with a white strip to form a rope, then shape like a candy cane and place it on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining strips.
- Bake at 375° F for 8–9 minutes or until the edges are slightly browned. Remove the cookies from the cookie sheet while still warm and place on wire racks. Sprinkle cookies with peppermint candy mixture. (For easier cleanup, place waxed paper underneath the wire racks beforehand.)