Friday, February 10, 2012

Chocolate Chip Scones

My little piano student (with anticipation on his face) told me this morning that his family had chocolate chip scones out in the van.  He said they had little scones and medium-sized scones, but no big scones.  The scones sounded so delicious, that this afternoon, after I was done teaching, I promptly made my own version of chocolate chip scones.  If I were to have my druthers, I would have used mini chocolate chips, but since there were none to be had in the house, I made do with the regular chocolate chips that I had on hand.

They turned out just like I expected.  Very light, slightly sweet, chocolately biscuit.  These are English-type scones that are baked and are like a biscuit, not the scones that are fried (fried bread) from the West. 

Chocolate Chip Scones
4 cups flour (I used half white and half white wheat)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine (1 1/2 sticks)
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup chocolate chips (I prefer milk chocolate)

Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Cut in the margarine until the mixture is crumby.  Add eggs and milk. Mix until the mixture just comes together.  Add the chocolate chips, just until they get mixed in.  On a floured surface, pat out the dough until it is about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut with a floured cutter.  We chose a small heart shape to be in keeping with Valentine's day.  The dough is a bit sticky, so have flour on hand to dip the cutter in when needed.  Place cut scones on a baking sheet, so the scones are not touching.  Bake at 400 degrees F. for 8-15minutes or until the edges start to lightly brown.  The baking time will depend on the size of your scones.    Serve warm with our without glaze.

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons evaporated milk.

Mix together until smooth.

Drizzle on scones after they have been out of the oven for a few minutes (the glaze then won't slide off as quickly).  MMmmmm!  This is a great snack for a February afternoon.
~Lena

No comments: