Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Last Week of Feb Menu

Here is my menu for the last full week of February.  I spent $30.53 at the store.  My money for food is always on the short end the last of the month!  Only basics made the shopping list.  We will be able to end the month in budget though, and that is always rewarding!

Sunday: Roast with potatoes, carrots and onions
The commissary usually has great prices on meat.  I bought a small roast, under $5 (and it was gone in one sitting!). We were going to eat the roast on Valentine's Day, but I ended up being out of town for my grandmother's funeral. The week I bought the roast and carrots the grocery bill was $48.76.

Monday: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup, rolls

Tuesday: Fettuccine with white sauce, peas

Wednesday: Meat Pie
Right before Christmas I went crazy with pies and made about 14 of them, and about 4 pie crusts to freeze. I will use my last pie crust from the freezer for this meal  My mom made us meat pie growing up.  I am sure there are many variations. And I think even we sisters, who make it, do our own take too. 

I brown some beef -1/4 to 1/3 pound-and usually with onions.  Then I add in some cream of mushroom soup, frozen corn, frozen peas, sometimes green beans and of course flavoring--salt, pepper, garlic powder. (Put in whatever you like really!)  In the bottom of a baking dish I place frozen shoestring french fries. (This time I will be using homemade fries or potato slices.)  I put the meat mixture on the fries, and place the pie crust on top.  Put slits in the pie crust to help release steam.  I bake it at about 350 for 30 or so minutes till the crust is golden brown and everything else is heated through.  I don't use many recipes when I cook, so there is my best guess.  I can post pictures tomorrow.

Thursday: Rice & Milk

Friday: Fried Rice, broccoli

Saturday: Mac-n-cheese, corn

Hope the grocery budget is going well for everyone!  Under a week and March begins!

1 comment:

Nostrebor said...

BEST ROLLS EVER!!!!!!!! I just feel so bad for the rest of the world every time I eat one. I just think, "Wow, poor everybody else, they don't get to eat these yummy rolls!" Good job Ruth!