Friday, February 4, 2011

Sweets for my Sweetie!


It's that time of year again when the days are nice and frosty and turning on the oven helps to get our kitchen all warm and cozy. My sisters and I will be posting some yummy dessert recipes that we love to have for Valentine's Day.

When I think of Valentine's Day, I always think of nice, soft sugar cookies with Butter Cream Frosting. Sugar Cookie Recipes that contain sour cream, will give you the softness you love.

Yesterday school got out early, so after cleaning up bedrooms and practicing piano the kids and I rolled out sugar cookies. I made the dough when I was baking on Saturday and kept it in the fridge until I was ready to use it. You can also freeze cookie dough for up to three months. Freezing already baked cookies works well too.

We decorated ours with colored sugar sprinkled on top before we baked them. That way I didn't have to frost them. If you choose to frost your cookies, Buttercream Frosting is the way to go. Here is my favorite recipe:

Buttercream Frosting
2/3 cup butter-softened
4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 to 5 Tablespoons milk or cream

In a large bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered suage, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and milk a tablespoon at a time; beat to desired spreading consistency.

To make chocolate buttercream frosting, add 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder with the powdered sugar.

No comments: