Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Box Re-do

Hello again! I took some pictures of my projects finally. :) So today I'm going to show you a box re-do.

I had gotten several of these Ikea boxes. I love how cheap they are, but while they don't look bad - they don't look very good either. So I decided to glam them up a bit.
I had read several times about how you could use heat n bond (or fusible interfacing) to iron fabric decals on walls, without leaving any sort of mark. I figured if it works on walls, why not cardboard.

So I took my Heat n Bond (I got a 5 yard roll at Michael's for like $5 with a 40% off coupon) and some Ikea fabric....
(Sorry for the lack of pictures here...) Then I unscrewed the box and laid it flat. I cut out a piece of fabric that just a bit bigger than the box. Next I ironed the Heat n Bond onto the fabric and then ironed the fabric/Heat n Bond combo onto the box. Finally I put the box back together. And this is the end result...


I thought they turned out really nice! They only took about a half an hour a box. The hardest part was getting the screws to screw back in - I had to get my husband to help me with that.

As you can tell - I didn't cover the lids with fabric. It seemed like it would be a big pain and I didn't even want to try. So I just ended up throwing the lids away.
I did three of them and put them in our entrainment center to store DVDs, remotes, Wii games and controllers, and even our little DVD player. (Don't you love our "flat" screen tv?) :)
Let me know if you have any questions - it really was super easy and I loved how it turned out!

3 comments:

Sonia B said...

I feel an IKEA trip coming on ;)

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

Wow Lois! I didn't know you made those! I thought you bought them. Great job!

Heidi Sue the Mommy crafter said...

Awesome! love them! Would you like to guest blog on my blog sometime? I'd love to have you!