Saturday, March 5, 2011

Easy Chocolate Coconut Candy

I enjoy making easy candy, and you can't go wrong with coconut and chocolate!  My mother-in-law gave me this recipe.  Here's what you'll need:

3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 bag flaked coconut, 14 ounce
1 package semi-sweet chocolate chips, 12 ounce
2 tablespoons shortening

Bring the corn syrup to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in the coconut.  Let cool till you can handle the candy.  I put the whole pan in the fridge for an hour or so. (I am sure it would be fine after a half hour too).
Feb 28, 2011

Form into balls (or whatever shape you desire!)
Feb 28, 2011 (2)

After balls are formed, melt the chocolate and shortening together in a bowl.  You can melt the chocolate over a double boiler, but I just melt it in the microwave, stirring and checking it often.  I put it in for about 30 seconds, stir, then put it in for about 20 seconds then stir.  Microwaves are different, so if you aren't sure, just check the mixture about every 10 seconds. If you do use a double boiler make sure you don't get water into the chocolate.

Dip the balls into the chocolate.  I use a fork to assist in the dipping process.  Here is the lone survivor.  I had some leftover chocolate, so I added an extra dollop on top. I love this recipe and need to make it more often!
Feb 28, 2011 (4)

I made these the other day for a thank-you to a friend who showed me how to make no-knead artisan bread. And just a little side note...the above dish came in a laundry box way back when.  When my grandma Ruth was growing up you could buy products that had dishes in them---like a cute little bowl in a box of detergent.  Same idea as getting toys in cereal boxes.

~Ramen Queen

No comments: