Friday, May 13, 2011

Fish Cakes

Sometimes I want a fun fish dinner to eat, but we have limited access to fish living in the Midwest--most of the time it is super expensive, and fish sticks are too greasy to eat more than a couple of times a year.  When my Dad worked as a professor, he had the opportunity to do some consulting work with canning trout.  Because of this, we ended up with several cases of the canned trout.  My dad would make them into fish cakes--it was one of my favorite dinners growing up.  A few years ago I was thinking about them, and regretting that I didn't have access to the trout so that I could make them.  Now it might seem obvious to you, but it took me a few days to realize I could use canned salmon or tuna as well.  Nothing beats the taste of the trout, but these other canned fish have a wonderful, unique flavor as well.

Here is my recipe for fish cakes.  I've broken it down to 1 can, and it seems that 1 can feeds 1.5 people (funny # I know, but I hope you can work with it).

Fish Cakes
1 can Tuna Fish
1 Egg
2 Tbs. Diced Onion
1/2 tsp. Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper (just a few sprinkles of each)
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
1/2 cup Oats (this is approximate--I just add enough to make it into the consistency of an oatmeal cookie)


Form into patties, then place on a hot griddle either with cooking spray or a little oil.


Cook until golden brown, flip and cook other side until golden brown.  



Serve with homemade buns and tartar sauce.  Super yum and a great Fun Friday Meal!

~Deborah

1 comment:

The Five Sisters said...

I can feed 5 people with 2 cans of tuna, and I use bread crumbs instead of oatmeal. ~Lena