Here is my new favorite pancake recipe. We had them for lunch today after we got home from church. They were so yummy.
1/2 cup uncooked oats, quick or old fashioned
1/2 cup plain yogurt, buttermilk, or milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
1 egg or 2 egg whites, beaten
1 tablespoon oil, preferably canola
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt, as desired
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup flour, preferable half whole wheat and half white
Optional: dash cinnamon
1. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, yogur, and milk. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to let the oatmeal soften.
2. When the oatmeal is finished soaking, beat in the egg and oil, and mix well. Add the sugar and salt (and cinnamon), then the baking powder and flour. Stir until just moistened.
3. Heat a lightly oiled or nonstick griddle over medium heat.
4. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto the griddle.
5. Turn when the tops are covered with bubbles and the edges look cooked. Turn only once.
6. Serve with syrup, honey, applesauce, yogurt, or other topping of your choice.
Makes 6 6-inch pancakes
When we made them we put maple syrup on top along with some cream we whipped and frozen mixed berries we made into a sauce. It was really yummy.