Friday, May 6, 2011

Mothers

In Seminary class the past few weeks I've been teaching about the lives and teachings of the latter-day prophets.  Earlier this week I taught the following on how we can become better parents to our kids.  I need to print this out and hang it on the wall somewhere to remind me of how I can be a better mom.  I'm pretty good about doing a lot of these things, and I can see where my own mom and dad followed these same teachings when we were kids.

President Ezra Taft Benson, the 13th latter-day prophet for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said how mothers can spend effective time with their children:
  1. “Take time to always be at the crossroads when your children are either coming or going.”
  2. “Take time to be a real friend to your children.”
  3. “Take time to read to your children.”
  4. “Take time to pray with your children.”
  5. “Take time to have a meaningful weekly home evening.”
  6. “Take time to be together at mealtimes as often as possible.”
  7. “Take time daily to read the scriptures together as a family.”
  8. “Take time to do things together as a family.”
  9. “Take time to teach your children."
  10. “Take the time to truly love your children” (excerpted from To the Mothers in Zion [address given at a fireside for parents, Feb. 22, 1987].
I took these quotes from the Doctrine and Covenants and Church History Seminary Teacher Resource Manual.
    Just because a lot is expected of Mom doesn't get Dad off the hook, but I'll leave his responsibilities for another post.:)
      I remember my mom doing these things for us.  Even though things were very busy and sometimes a bit crazy, she did all of these.


    Happy Mother's Day Mom!!!  Thanks for following the words of the prophet.  You did such a great job in raising us kids. ~Lena

    1 comment:

    The Five Sisters said...

    I agree Lena! We have been very blessed to have parents who followed every one of those things. I always knew that Mom loved me and was my friend.