Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas, Casserole Style

A few years ago, my mom hosted a book group at her house.  One of her friends, Lori Durrant, brought an oh so yummy dish: Chicken Chili Lasagna.  I of course had to have the recipe.  Luckily it wasn't a family secret!  This is one of mine and Lee's favorite meals. It isn't your typical Summer meal as it's quite "heavy".  Just think of it as a Sunday switch-up meal. It does take some time to make, but it's easy.  Usually I don't follow recipes when cooking, but I do for this dish.

Chicken Chili Lasagna
Lori Durrant
2 packages (3oz each) cream cheese, softened [I just use one 8 ounce package]
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups shredded Mexican-cheese blend, divided

2 garlic cloves, minced [I use about a teaspoon garlic powder]

3/4 tsp ground cumin, divided

1/2 tsp parsley [if I have ever used parley, I don't remember!]

3 cups cubed cooked chicken [I use however much chicken I want to use...the most I've used, maybe 2 cups]

1/4 cup margarine

1/4 cup flour

1-1/2 cup chicken broth [I use 1 1/2 cups water along with 2 chicken bouillon cubes]

1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese

1 cup sour cream [I made this on Sunday and realized I didn't have sour cream.  I did have whipping cream.  I added in about 1/3 Cup cream, and 1/3 Cup milk and cooked it till thickened.  Tasted great!]

1 can (4oz) chopped green chilies, drained

1/8 tsp thyme

1/8 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

12 flour tortillas (6 inch) cut in half [I only use 8 tortillas cut in half....I show below how I layer them]


In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, onion, 1-1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend, garlic, 1/4 tsp cumin and parsley.  Stir in chicken; set aside.  

In a saucepan, melt butter [or margarine-I use margarine].  Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from the heat.  Stir in Monterrey Jack cheese, sour cream, chilies, thyme, salt, pepper and remaining cumin.  

Spread 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce in a greased 13x9x2 inch pan.  Top with 6 tortilla halves, a third of the chicken mixture and a fourth of the cheese sauce [it won't seem like a lot of cheese sauce per layer, but don't worry].  Repeat tortilla, chicken and cheese sauce layers twice.  Top with remaining tortillas, cheese sauce and Mexican cheese.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield:  12 servings. 

How I layer this dish...
DSCN1050

Yum, yum!
DSCN1052

Such a fantastic dinner...
DSCN1057

Enjoy!
~Ruth

No comments: