Friday, October 7, 2011

Flap Jack-o-Lanterns

 In October I have to make pumpkin pancakes at least once.  We like to call them Flap Jack-o-Lanterns and make faces using chocolate chips before we flip them over.  We had a few candy melts that we used too.

 I like to use my ice cream scoop to ladle the batter onto the hot skillet.  My pancakes are more uniform this way.  I also use this scoop when I make muffins.  It works really well.

This recipe is actually a muffin recipe, but it works equally well for pancakes.  I like to use mostly whole wheat flour when I make pancakes.  Feel free to use more or less (or none at all) of the wheat flour.  Just replace it one for one with white.  I got this recipe from here.  I swapped the wheat and white flour amounts.
Flap Jack-o-Lanterns adapted from MealMakeoverMoms.com
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned pure pumpkin
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (I used regular)
Whisk everything (except chocolate chips) together until moist.  Pour pancakes onto a hot griddle (I set mine to 350 degrees).  Add chocolate chip faces.  Cook until the edges start to firm up.  Flip.  Serve as is or with butter and syrup. 

 The kids started helping and were more creative than Mommy.  They were also more liberal with the chocolate chips. ;) 
My husband made a really yummy cinnamon syrup from the book Where's Mom Now That I Need Her?  His mom actually gave him the book when he left for college.  I definitely want to give this book to my kids when they leave home.  It's a great resource on just about anything in the home.
Cinnamon Syrup
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup evaporated milk  
Combine corn syrup, sugar, water and cinnamon; bring to a boil,stirring constantly.  Cook for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Stir in milk.  (Make sure you allow syrup to cool for 5 min., or milk will curdle.)  Serve warm. 
 








This pancake is supposed to represent Charlie Brown's Halloween costume.  Do you remember it?
~Lena

No comments: