Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Jar-o-Lanterns

It was love at first sight when I saw these Jack-o-Lantern Jars.  Independent of each other, my sister Lois and I made this craft.  I hope she shares some pics of hers.  Anyway, after my kids saw what I was up to, they each got in on the act and made one too.  It was a family affair once my husband got in on it and helped us create our faces.

Materials needed:
Jars (spaghetti, pickle, relish, canning jars all work great)
Tissue paper or crepe paper
Black paper or vinyl for the faces
Decoupage glue or All-Purpose Glue mixed to a paintable consistency with some water
Paint brush

Simply paint the jar with glue and cover with tissue paper.  You can use the whole piece, squares or strips, depending on what look you want.  I had some orange crepe paper that I used for the pumpkin jars and it was actually easier to use than the tissue paper, because it wasn't as delicate.  Add faces with black vinyl or paper.  Cover with another coat of decoupage.  When it is completely dry add Christmas lights, or candles for a fun glow.  My mom gave us a package of fake battery operated candles to use in our jars.  Thanks Mom!

~Lena 

No comments: