Monday, June 27, 2011

4th of July Wreath


With the 4th just around the corner, if you haven't already pulled out decorations for Independence Day, now's a good time to start.  If you don't have any decorations, there's still time to whip something together. 

I got together with some of my friends on Saturday and made this cute wreath.  The original idea came from here.  Instead of using paper, we used fabric.  Although this isn't my idea,  it was so cute, I had to share it.

You will need:
A wreath form (mine is wire)
Red,white and blue fabric
Needle and thread
Ribbons
Buttons
Stars
Whatever floats your boat, really. 
Hot Glue Gun
Time: approx. 2 hours
 

Cut out circles, of various sizes.  
Larger circles will cover the wreath faster.  Some of my friends made circles of various sizes and clumped them together.  I didn't want to spend tons of time on my wreath, so I made my circles a little larger.  

I made yo-yos with some of them and sewed them into the center of the bigger circles.
 
To make a yo-yo, sew a gathering stitch around the edge of the circle.
 
 
Pull your thread to gather the fabric to the center of the circle.
 
 
Knot your thread.  Add a button or star, or nothing to the center of the circle.

 
I also gathered the centers of all my large circles, to make them a bit frilly, and help them stand out from the wreath more.  Some I just pinched in the center and sewed in place.  Others, I sewed a small circle in the center (as in the picture),
then I pulled the thread tight and knotted it.
   
 Then add a yo-yo, button or star to the center of the circle.
 
 

Once you have a good selection of circles to use, arrange them around the wreath, any way that you like, and glue them in place using your hot glue gun.  Add stars, ribbons, streamers, or whatever makes you feel patriotic.  
Happy 4th of July!!! ~Lena

No comments: