Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Easy, Homemade Cinnamon Rolls

The other night we had cinnamon rolls for a bedtime snack.  Normally if I want cinnamon rolls I'll use a recipe that calls for eggs, extra sugar, and rising time.  But when you want cinnamon rolls in under an hour, I don't want to wait for two or 3 just to let the dough rise (though, those are the BEST kinds of cinnamon rolls). But for a bedtime snack for the family, this recipe is great. I got it from my cousin Holly....not sure where she got it, but here you go!  Thanks Holly!

 
June 15 2011 Cinnamon

Holly's Pizza Dough (now it's cinnamon roll dough!)

1 Cup warm water
1 Tablespoon yeast
1/3 Cup sugar (normally for pizza dough it's only 1 tablespoon sugar, but since it's for cinnamon rolls, I like the extra sugar!)
1 teaspoon salt
2 - 2 1/2 Cups flour
1/4 Cup butter or margarine, softened or melted
Cinnamon
Sugar

Let yeast dissolve in 1 cup warm water--I give it a nice stir and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  Mix in sugar and salt.  Work in flour.  Finish kneading dough till it's a good consistency (for a couple of minutes...).  You may have to add in flour here and there so it won't stick to the counter.

Roll out dough in a rectangle, to no less than, about a 1/2 inch thick. Spread on margarine or butter to cover entire rectangle.  Sprinkle on sugar to cover the dough surface, and then enough cinnamon to your liking.  I do enough to cover the surface. Roll lengthwise and cut about 1 inch thick.  Place in greased pan.  Let rise for about 10-15 minutes in a warm place.  Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.  (I actually don't know how long to bake them, I just check them.)

Let cool and frost.  For a quick butter frosting, combine together in a bowl: approximately 2 Tablespoons butter, 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and about 1 - 2 Tablespoons milk.  I like to mix it with a salad fork. Add more or less milk depending on the desired consistency.

You could even make caramel rolls.  Just spread extra butter on the dough (once rolled out) and then add about a cup (or less) of brown sugar.  When you take the rolls out of the oven, flip over onto a platter or plate. Mmm.....  Have fun being creative!

1 comment:

Sonia B said...

I love cinnamon rolls and I love Holly . . . I'll have to try this recipe out. Thanks for all the great ideas y'all are sharing!