For June: $210. I am cooking up the same foods, like beans and rice, box mac-n-cheese, and of course ramen. Don't get too worried. These meals are repeated only about twice the entire month. Plus we have been enjoying fresh strawberries, a little bit of spinach and some lettuce from our garden. I feel like we'll be just fine in having balanced meals. (I need to get into couponing more!!!)
Here is our menu for next week...not much different from ones you've seen in the past!
Sunday: Eggs...your style, applesauce (I am all about easy, quick dinners on Sunday!)
Monday: Fried rice, broccoli
Tuesday: Chicken noodle soup (yes, it's summer, but we have everything for soup already)
Wednesday: Fettuccine with homemade alfredo sauce, peas
Thursday: Black bean quesadillas, corn
Friday: Homemade pizza, pop (I have some pop left over from our recent trip)
Saturday: Orzo with parmesan and fresh basil
Good luck with all your summer budgeting!!
Here is the orzo recipe. I've made this a couple of times and love it. It's fun because we use our fresh basil we have growing inside.
Orzo with Parmesan and Basil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned.
- Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow bowl. Garnish with basil sprigs.