Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mac and Cheese


When I am running low on time and I want something quick and easy to make I can always fall back on my homemade Mac and Cheese. I have always loved macaroni and cheese and making it with fresh cheese makes it taste even better. This recipe probably isn't the yummiest homemade macaroni and cheese you will taste because it doesn't use cream but it is pretty good and I usually always have the ingredients on hand. I normally don't have cream on hand. Also, this is just a recipe that I kind of made up. I got the white sauce portion of the recipe from my mom and the rest is, well, just cheese :)

Homemade Mac and Cheese
White Sauce:
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
(if it isn't thickening up after you cook it for awhile just add more flour)
Put the milk in a saucepan and completely stir in the flour. Then add the butter and start to heat.

Next add about 1 cup (not really sure on the measurement, I usually just add to taste) cubed cheddar cheese. Stir until it is all melted and the sauce becomes thick. Add salt to taste.

I also like to add some ground red pepper for a little more flavor.

I pour the sauce over whole wheat noodles. This only takes about 10-15 minutes to prepare. It is usually ready for me when the noodles are done cooking.



3 comments:

Bryan & Ashley said...

How much noodles do you use?

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

I am going to have to try this Steph! I need to give up the box mac-n-cheese!

andyandsteph said...

I usually buy Barilla whole grain rotini pasta and use half a box. One box is 13.25 oz, so I end up using 6.625 oz.