Thursday, April 28, 2011

Strawberry Yogurt Smoothies

Strawberry season is upon us.  I've been making lots of yummy strawberry things at my house.  Strawberry Pie, Strawberry Dessert, Strawberry Jello, Strawberries dipped in Fudge Sauce, Spring Spinach Salad with Strawberries, and Strawberry Syrup to name a few.  My sisters have fabulous strawberry dessert recipes, that I hope they will share sometime (hint, hint Ruth and Deb). 

Strawberry shakes or smoothies are so delicious, easy and fun to make.  My husband is especially fabulous at making these concoctions. The ingredients can be varied, according to your tastes.  You can also add in more fiber and nutrition with a little oatmeal, blueberries or other fresh fruits, or even fresh spinach.  My m.i.l. has been making a lot of smoothies lately and she's been adding spinach to them.  She said it tasted good.  So last week with our strawberry abundance (have I mentioned we are growing our own?) I tried the smoothies with spinach and blueberries along with the strawberries.  The kids asked what the green specks were (of course).  I told them the green and purple specks were confetti.  I thought it tasted a little grassy, but otherwise the flavor was good.  Here's a basic recipe (minus confetti) that you can try:

Strawberry Yogurt Smoothies

2-3 cups fresh strawberries, washed and hulled
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (lowfat or fat free)
1/2 cup skim milk or orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tray of ice cubes (optional--the ice will thicken up the smoothie a bit more)

Blend everything together in a blender or food processor, pulse it a bit first if using ice.  Enjoy immediately, or cover and refrigerate, blending again quick before serving.  Or freeze in popsicle molds for a frozen treat.


~Lena